Monday, May 21, 2012

Mystery Solved




The first time I came to Mumbai to visit in February 2012 I often heard a strange beeping sound. It sounded like maybe some kind of alarm or something. I asked Deepal about it, and he thought maybe I was hearing the beeping coming from the railroad gate when it closes, the railroad gate being just a block away. Well, this beeping would often wake me up in the morning, and it was random and elusive enough to be rather annoying. Well, a few days ago I discovered the source of the beeping. I couldn't believe it. It was a little bird perched outside the window. And after he beeped for a little while another little bird, the female I think, joined him. So now I think the beeping is incredibly cute and I have named the pair Mr. and Mrs. Beeper Bird. Then after some research online because I wanted to show you what they look like I have discovered their 'real' name (Coppersmith Barbet) and that they were recently named the Official Bird of Mumbai, beating out the ubiquitous crow and others. So there you go. Here's a picture of Mr. Beeper himself:

3 comments:

  1. Mr and Mrs beeper bird is a far better name than what you found online. Hands down. It's like they were welcoming you to India! I'm glad they found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, me, too. I've never had much of an interest in birds before. But there are a lot of different ones here. And they have calls I've never heard before. Even the crows look different because their heads are gray and not full black like in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The full black Crows are actually Ravens - the grey headed ones are crows - cousins

    ReplyDelete