Saturday, June 2, 2012

Big Little Events

Every morning Ma makes rotis and/or chapatis for lunch and dinner. The difference between rotis and chapatis has been a mystery for me because they seem pretty much the same to me, but now I finally understand the difference. Apparently the rotis are cooked directly on the flame of the stove while the chapatis are cooked on a flat pan with oil. Rotis are softer but they should be eaten fresh, and chapatis will last a day or two. Otherwsie, they're the same.

So this morning I told Ma that I would make Deepal's Chapati. She seemed to think that would be too difficult for me. But she allowed me to try rolling it out. And then it was novel enough for her to call the maid, Cavita, over to see me do it. Cavita once saw me making oatmeal for Deepal and thought it was funny. So she saw me rolling out Deepal's chapati and immediately left to get my camera. This apparently was a significant event. So here's the picture they took of me rolling out Deepal's chapati:


And here's a picture of Deepal's chapati already cooked lying on the pan:


His chapatis are like a whole wheat equivalent... except they're not made of wheat, so they look different from a normal chapati. They are thicker and more brown, rather than yellow. Here it is next to a regular chapati:


So as you can see, they look a lot like a tortilla. But the taste is different. And for funnsies, here is a picture of my lunch today. It is a typical lunch of 2 chapatis, a bowl of dahl (lentils) and a vegetable on the side. Today's vegetable is potato and parvar (pointed gourd).



Here's a pointed gourd: (Lots and lots of different gourds over here. This gourd is fun because it has seeds that pop in your mouth when you eat it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment