Sunday, August 5, 2012

I'm baaaaack!!

So. It's been awhile since I've posted anything. I was in Canada attending some Improv workshops, and they were really, really great. I met some life-changing people, and my heart is still full of the lessons I learned.
I have lost count of how many camps, workshops, projects, classes, and shows I have done over the years. All of them brought a disparate group of people together for an intense period of work/play (some for a week or two, some for a year or two). And I have to say that despite years of "practice" my heart still breaks every time I have to say goodbye. Damn, it's hard.
Improv people are some of the most open, friendly, fun-loving people I've ever met. And it has been my privilege to meet and learn from them. Here are my three favorite lessons:
1) CHEAT! : D  
2) Be Average!   Because when you're "trying your best" you're trying too hard.
3) Fail! 
Pretty much everything else is a corollary to those. Cheat means questioning the rules, bending them, breaking them, just not boxing yourself in by what you're told is possible. And being average means getting out of your own way. You are enough. Doing your best implies fear of not doing well, and fear keeps us from taking risks and failing. Failing is when we learn! I'm still scared of failing, though. heh. But maybe not as much! SO there.You know I've had a couple of these lessons before. Certainly the last one at Dell Arte, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed learning them so much before.

No comments:

Post a Comment